Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Joy of Being an Artist

Way back last year, I received an e-mail from young boy in Cleveland who was working on an art project.  His assignment was to interview an artist and do a powerpoint presentation.  He asked me a few general questions about my art.  This phone painting is what interested him.


8x10" oil
SOLD
I am sure many of you receive the same type of requests.  I have had several, from young students.  I always reply, trying to  answer their inquiries, without doing ALL the work for their report.  Occasionally, I will get a "thank you" in return, often nothing.

This young boy from Cleveland, Jake, is not the usual.  We had several exchanges.  He was always extremely polite , and always promised to send me reports.  And he did!  He sent me an outline of his presentation, then I got a video of him giving it.  My favorite question from his audience was "is she still alive?", which he answered with a resounding "yes"...Whew!

My children and grandchildren were excited and thrilled to see all this activity about me in Cleveland.

After a few weeks, he sent me his grade (he aced it) on the project, and I though we were through.  But no....  He also has to do a painting that emulates my work.



Jake's painting
This is my second update on his painting in progress.  Note the picture of my phone, there on the table.



And here  is the finished piece!  Didn't he do well!!?!!

I am thrilled, each time I hear from him.  This has been such an  exciting experience for me and hopefully for him too.  I now understand why people choose to teach, and, what a wonderful teacher he has.  He or she has set him on a road that will stay with him for life. What a fantastic project for a young mind.   Bravo!!

So, for me, painting has been so much more than just painting.  Today, I have a new energy and desire to get back to the easel....how lucky am I?  Thank you Jake!


www.CarolSchiffStudio.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment