Saturday, January 4, 2014

Inspired by Pamela Blaies

Orange Reflections
12" x 16"
oil on linen

I went to see the Sorolla exhibit at the Meadows Museum in Dallas yesterday with some artist friends. He was a very prolific artist during the late 1800s and early 1900s and painted hundreds of large (like climb-on-a-ladder-and-tape-your-brushes-to-long-sticks large) paintings! I've seen many of Sorolla's paintings in books, but seeing a photograph is nothing compared to the amazing experience of viewing his work in person. His use of color temperature to create light was fabulous. But I think what was most interesting to me was his thick, juicy strokes and loose brushwork. I found myself standing up close to study each stroke, then backing away to see the overall effect over and over again with each painting.

I love to share my art and inspiration. Click HERE to sign up for my email newsletter and receive a free gift of postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment