Friday, November 11, 2011

You're A Grand Old Flag by Pam Holnback

You're A Grand Old Flag
8" x 8"  Oil on cradled panel
$195.00 + $10. s/h  click here to bid

Last fall fellow Daily Painter Original blogger Karen Werner posted two incredible paintings, Old Glory and Old Glory 2.  They were my inspiration for this piece and I thought it appropriate for Veteran's Day.  Both of my parent's served in WWII, my dad was in the Army and my mom was a WASP.  My grandfather was in both WWI and WWII.

This painting is of the flag that was on my grandfather's grave when he passed away in 1964.  The flag went to my dad,  who later passed down to my son (who was given my grandfather's name as his middle name.)  We don't hang this flag outside, I should probably take it to the VFW and have them ceremoniously fold it.  I'm pleased how this piece turned out.  If I paint it again, I might try to make it look even a little more aged and faded.

"You're a grand old flag,
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave."
George M. Cohan

No comments:

Post a Comment